Lee has already posted about his inner battle with going 1st and how his mental preparations had allowed him to have a good stage, which he did, and he beat me for the day, but I feel pretty good about my shooting for the match too.
I finished 2nd in ESP Sharpshooter and got a match bump Expert.
For me this is a very big deal for a few reasons.
1) When I started shooting IDPA, I defined and acceptable level of competence with a pistol as IDPA Expert. This is why I don’t shoot my AR much, or shotguns, or really any gun but my carry gun. Until I reached that mark I felt I had more to learn.
Does that mean that I don’t think Marksmen or Novices are competent shooters? No. Many of them are far more accurate than me. That was my target.
2) I set a goal at the beginning of the year that I would make Expert this year. I could have done it in March if I hadn’t moved from SSP to ESP, so I made it a little tougher on myself.
3) I should have earned a match bump at the Carolina Cup, but I didn’t pay close enough attention during the walk-through and took 13 seconds of penalties on one target moving me from 4th (and getting a bump) to 10th (and getting a certificate suitable for framing).
For me this was a bit of demon and by coming back I feel pretty strong.
4) I did it with actual carry gear (Glock 19 in a White Dog Holster), wearing tennis shoes, plaid shorts and a vest I bought at REI. For me this is the true spirit of IDPA and it is something I really wanted to do.
So now what?
I reached a goal, but I still think I am a long way from competent.
- On stage 10, my plan fell apart when I missed my first shot, I dropped a mag when I should have done a tac-load and then I didn’t adjust to it the right way.
- On the same stage I DQ’d on earlier this year I capped a non-threat.
- I had 2 ‘mikes’ during the course of the match. I should really be able to hit a man-sized torso at 7 yards!
- My acceleration and deceleration between shooting positions needs to be improved.
- I missed High Junior/High Lady by 0.06sec, 18years and gender reassignment surgery… So I got beat by a 17yo girl. (Obviously she is a really good shooter, but more important she is a very nice young lady… it still hurts the ego though)
I am going to continue to work on these skills… likely in USPSA!